Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tall Ships Quilt Block and an Irish Tea

Tall Ships Quilt Block Pattern Information
 
In 1836, my great-grandfather James Lynch immigrated
from Ireland to the United States on the English ship Sir Harry Smith. 
He was only 13 years old. 
Today, I honor him with an Irish Tea!  Welcome!
 
Spring lambs and daffodils make a wonderful centerpiece.
The lambs were painted by my mother-in-law.
 
 
 
Tasty Irish Soda Bread
 
 

Delicious Irish Cheeses
 
These little chalkboards are a fun way to label cheeses and other foods.
I hated the chalk dust as a classroom teacher, but these little boards are fun!
 
 
 
 
Green Andes Mints for Dessert
 
Republic of Tea Lucky Irish Breakfast Tea from Bernideen's.
 
A friend recently had surgery, and three of us went to her home with goodies for lunch.  I brought many of these same items for our St. Patrick's Day Lunch.  Good food, laughter, and conversation among old friends!
 
Have you ever travelled across the ocean by ship?  Inquiring minds want to know!  By commenting, you'll be entering to win a copy of A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County) by Barbara Cameron. If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others. The winner will be announced on April 1.

You might also enjoy my previous blog post An Irish Blessing for You.



15 comments:

  1. I loved the Alaskan cruise my husband and I took a few years ago, but I'm not sure if I'd like to be out there in the middle of the Atlantic in a storm like many of the immigrants were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never crossed an ocean on a ship. But I did go on a cruise from Miami, Fl to the Bahamas. Definitely not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tall ships quilt block and all the yummy Irish food for tea. I've not crossed the ocean at all in any form but can imagine the hardships our ancestors endured during the journey by ship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful! We have taken several transatlantic crossings on Queen Mary 2 to and from New York, and several others going from Miami & Fort Lauderdale the long way to England and Eurpoe. We love cruising, but the idea of the folks that did it in sailing ships is ...they were a hardier breed than I will ever be! We had one rough crossing between 2 hurricanes once with 25 ft seas and the idea of doing that in a ship 1/4 the size is daunting! I love the quilt! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the early 60s it was cheaper to travel by ship than by plane so as a poor school teacher, I traveled to Scotland from Montreal by ship and returned from Copenhagen to NY by ship. When I married we traveled by freighter from Long Beach CA to Yokohama (through a typhoon). I have also been on a company cruise but that was more like a moving hotel than an ocean voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never crossed the ocean on a ship. The closest to cruising I want to do is a ship that follows the coastline and I can still see land!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have that family history. This was very interesting and love the quilt design! Beautiful posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very beautiful. Love the quilt as well. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of my paternal ancestors came from Ireland too. I've never travelled across the ocean by ship to anywhere. I don't really ever plan to do so either.

    I like the fabrics you used in your block and lunch looks yummy- especially the soda bread.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to take a cruise but not across the ocean! It is quicker to fly and I have so much to do when I get there. Of course, the trip from Europe now is much quicker than when our ancestors made the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt block and I enjoyed the history of your ancestor. No, I have never crossed the ocean but have dreamed of it. Two of my sons have though, by jet. My middle boy toured Scandinavia with a band and my youngest was in Europe three times for Math conferences. Your tea looks wonderful with the bread, fruit, and cheese! My kind of lunch! Thank you for coming to tea and Happy Spring!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat block and breakfast! I have never crossed the ocean in a boat but it would be fun! Thanks for sharing! Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only by 'air' ship. Big boats always remind me of the Titanic. Just not interested in that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have only been on ferry boats like the one that used to take us to Prince Edward Island. My husband crossed the oceans MANY time on Navy ships and as a result he pretty much says NO when I make noises about taking a cruise anywhere. I think it would be a delightful way to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful thing to do for a sick friend. I love you recipes. What a great book to win.
    artandsoul57@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!